RE: Railing clearances

I agree with Jason in general that OSHA applies "with respect to employments
performed in a workplace", i.e. applies to most structures where people
work. However, it is my understanding that OSHA will generally defer to
governing building code requirements where they apply, even though that is
not spelled out anywhere. Thus I generally use the building code
requirements for enclosed structures used by people (i.e., "occupancies")
and use OSHA for such things as equipment access platforms, exterior
industrial facilities, etc.

Unfortunately, there are several discrepancies between OSHA and typical
building code requirements, like the one noted for railings, which make it
difficult to meet all legal requirements to the letter. It would be nice if
the OSHA regulators coordinated with the standard building codes and defined
better where their provisions should or should not govern. Similarly, it
would help if the building codes better defined where their requirements
should not apply. For now, we just have to use our best judgment.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311