Re: Masonry Structural Notes and Specifications

Chris,

The "1997 MASONRY Codes and Specifications" (A Co-Publication of the Masonry Institute of America and CRC Press) have a guide specification which has the following notes under 3.03 HIGH LIFT GROUTING:

A.  Construct the masonry wall up to a maximum of 24 feet above the foundation.  Provide cleanout openings at the base of the wall at all vertical reinforcing bars but at a spacing no more than 32 inches on centers for solid grouted walls or a maximum of 48 inches on centers for partially grouted walls.
.
.
D.  Install vertical grout dams at a maximum horizontal spacing of 30 feet to control the horizontal flow of grout.
E.  After the mortar joints have set, remove protruding mortar fins which excessively constrict the grout space.  Remove all such droppings and debris through the cleanouts at the base of the wall.
F.  After the cleanouts have been inspected, seal and brace the cleanouts.

Also see UBC section 2104.6.1. for further information on cleanouts and grout installation.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Christopher S. Campbell" <ccampbell(--nospam--at)ofainc.net>

12/22/2003 02:11 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Masonry Structural Notes and Specifications

I have been put in charge of re-writing the structural notes for masonry
construction for our office.  For just about every detail of masonry I
can find either code or text to describe the method and requirements.
The one part that I am missing out on is the requirements for
clean-outs.  If high-lift grouting is allowed, and the grout is
consolidated and re-consolidated, how often do cleanouts have to be
placed?  I understand that there are vertical as well as horizontal
requirements.

The other part of this that bothers me is that there appears to be a
limitation in that you may not need to require cleanouts at all, even
with high-lift grouting, but again, the limits of that are completely
unknown here.

Our typical masonry construction uses are in retaining walls - mostly
under 6' in height.  I want the requirements and limits to reflect our
needs mostly, but also make sure that I understand the needs to
clean-outs.

Thanks.

Chris

Christopher S. Campbell
O'Connor Freeman & Assoc., Inc.
916.441.5721     fax 916.441.5697

"They're only mad at me because I'm right"  -unattributed

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org