masonry cleanouts

Chris,

The 1997 UBC clearly states in section 2104.6.1 that cleanouts are required for all grout pours over 5’.  It also states that, where cleanouts are required, they need to be provided at every vertical bar but spacing shall not exceed 32” oc for solid grouted masonry.  For grout pours 5 ft or less, if you can ensure the grout space is clean and free of debris, a cleanout is not required.  The intent is to make sure that the grout can fill the cells properly and that you don’t have a lot of debris that could cause local weak spots in the wall construction.

HTH

Dan Morrow, P.E.

Swenson Say Fagét Structural Engineers

2124 3rd Ave. Suite 100

Seattle, WA  98121

206-956-3745 (direct)

206-443-4870 (fax)

email: dmorrow(--nospam--at)swensonsayfaget.com