From: "Christopher S. Campbell" <ccampbell(--nospam--at)ofainc.net>

To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

Subject: Masonry Structural Notes and Specifications

I have been put in charge of re-writing the structural notes for masonry construction for our office.  For just about every detail of masonry I can find either code or text to describe the method and requirements. The one part that I am missing out on is the requirements for clean-outs.  If high-lift grouting is allowed, and the grout is consolidated and re-consolidated, how often do cleanouts have to be placed?  I understand that there are vertical as well as horizontal requirements.

The other part of this that bothers me is that there appears to be a limitation in that you may not need to require cleanouts at all, even with high-lift grouting, but again, the limits of that are completely unknown here.

Our typical masonry construction uses are in retaining walls - mostly under 6' in height.  I want the requirements and limits to reflect our needs mostly, but also make sure that I understand the needs to clean-outs.

Thanks.

Chris