Re: Masonry Structural Notes and Specifications

Chris,

Your telephone area-code implies that you need grouting requirements from
the California Building Code.

Cleanouts are only required at CMU cells that contain
reinforcement  AND  if the grout pour will exceed five feet in height.

Maximum spacing of 32 inches is required for solid-grouted masonry.   (Note
that even in Seismic Zones 3 and 4, the CBC does not require solid-grouted
walls--it's usually just easier to grout them solid.)

For all the gory details,  see CBC/UBC section 2104.6.

I did a post-graduate project on grouting of masonry (it was for an ENGLISH
class--multi-media presentations, not any fancy engineering stuff) and don't
think
anything has changed since then....  check out the results at
www.shearwalls.com/grouting.html

Thor