Re: Paso Robles Earthquake

Dennis,
I would have thought that SB547 (mid 1980s) would have required Paso Robles to inventory their URMs and establish an ordinance.
If I recall the legislation correctly, I believe that the timeline for compliance passed years ago.
Perhaps they do have an ordinance, but a few buildings slipped through!

Happy Holidays,
Steven A.
Los Angeles

Dennis Wish wrote:

I have seen nothing on the Paso Robles earthquake discussed here and have a couple of questions.

The photos that I have seen published are very limited and the coverage on the news is covered by the heightened security alerts in the US. Two people died in this earthquake and I don?t take this lightly and morn for their deaths. I would assume that these people died in the falling rubble of Unreinforced Masonry Buildings. The question is whether or not these buildings were retrofit. Those retrofit in the Los Angeles area during the Northridge earthquake held together well. The majority of total destruction to URM?s were to those in Santa Monica that had not instituted its mandatory retrofit program.

Can anyone confirm if these buildings were not retrofit?

One lady who died was Marilyn Zafuto (55-years old) and her husband who is grieving is Dennis Zafuto. My wife is also named Marilyn and a we are in the same age range. A chill went up my spine and reminded me to think not only of Marilyn Zafuto and Jennifer Myrick who also died, but of our vulnerability.

Please let me know if Paso Robles has a retrofit ordinance in place. One thing is certain, this was the same lesson that Santa Monica learned during the Northridge earthquake. Buildings can stand for 100 years, but when an earthquake hits that when in the wrong location at the wrong time these older building can fall. This is the first case that I recall (except for a chimney or two that fell on people standing adjacent to them in the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake) where two live too many were lost.

Respectfully,

Dennis S. Wish, PE

---