RE: Paso Robles Earthquake

Dennis,

I have been following the Paso Robles (officially named San Simion)
earthquake damage thru Yahoo News and the local newspaper.  See
<http://www.azstarnet.com> for the story in today's paper, "Unreinforced
brick = rubble" in the "Arizona/West" section.

Apparently the building was not retrofit at all, although Paso Robles does
have a retrofit ordinance, however, it has a deadline of 2012 for
unreinforced buildings to comply.

California Seismic Safety Commission (Fred Turner) is reported to say that it
may be time to take retrofit requirements out of local jurisdiction hands.

Of course I would assume that Paso Robles' argument was, "the building
has (had) stood for over 100 years, so why is the rush?  Besides, it is
expensive to retrofit an obviously strong building."

I will also assume that the anguished husband of the dead woman, as well as
the parents of the young girl, will make the cost of retrofit appear like a
mere pittance to the building's owner and the historical preservation group.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona