From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 6:50 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Paso Robles Earthquake

Jake,

Earthquake insurance is insurance to repair damage caused by an earthquake,
just like wind insurance is to repair damage to the insured from wind, but
does not protect the insured from liability due to a piece of the building
blowing off and decapitating someone.  (Also like collision damage insurance
on your car --- it repairs damage to your car.  Your liability coverage
would
pay for damage to another's car or to an individual were you at fault.)

The incentive to retrofit is that you will be less likely to have your
building collapse and injure someone in an earthquake than if you didn't
retrofit.  As USGS' Lucy Jones is quoted as saying, building owners gamble
that they will never need the retrofit.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Jake Watson wrote:

. > This brings up an interesting point.  Where do the insurance companies
sit
. > on this issue in California?  If the owner gets sued for not
retrofitting
. > the building, will to owner pay or will the insurance company likely
pick
. > up the tab?  If it's the insurance company, do you know of any companies
. > that revise rates based on retrofits? Bottom line, in hindsight it's
easy
. > to say it would have been cheaper to fix the building.  But are there
any
. > monetary incentives going forward?

. > Jake Watson, P.E.
. > Salt Lake City, UT