From: Leaper, Matthew R. [mailto:Matthew.Leaper(--nospam--at)hdrinc.com]
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 11:47 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: America for Americans - A recent graduates perspective on the
implications of outsourcing

America for Americans

The more I read about the outsourcing issue, the more fearful I become about
my future.  I choose engineering because I thought it would grant me access
to a multi-million dollar construction industry that would provide steady
employment and above average wages throughout my working career.  As an
American, I understand that this country is run by the almightily dollar and
I am disturbed to know that my future is being jeopardized so that certain
firms within the industry can save a buck.  I foresee outsourcing, if
unchecked, as having the potential of lowering my standard of living right
here in the United States.  Its all to clear - American firms outsource to
India to raise their profit margin, therefore, American based firms must
lower fees and thus my future salary to compete.  In the end, the entire
profession is held back.

I may be an American and may have been given more opportunity than those of
you from India, but I have fought for everything I have been given.  Now, my
future and that of my future children is being jeopardized for the sake of
yours and I am supposed to welcome you?  I am supposed to praise world
equality even though it means I sacrifice and you benefit?  Outsourcing is
bad for the citizens of the United States and good for the rest of the
world.  I'm sorry, but I don't care about the rest of the world.  Like the
rest of world, my family and my friends come first.  I see nothing wrong
with competing - one to one - with any Graduate from any university in
India.  If, on American soil, you have the skills to beat me out of job -
then you deserve it.  However, outsourcing gives you an unfair advantage
that will ultimately lead to lost jobs for Americans.  From the way it
sounds, none of you from India care about that fact.  If every engineering
job from America was outsourced to a firm from India and every American SE
lost his job - none of you would care because your making money, because
your providing for your family, because your getting the chance to make a
better future for your children.  That's what is important, not the welfare
of the American whose job you took.  I'm all for the successful integration
of the Indian people, or people of any other origin with a genuine desire to
better themselves, on American soil, but would legislate outsourcing out of
practice in an instant if given the power.

If you wish to reap the benefits of the American economy, then immigrate and
strive to become an American citizen.  Isn't that what the American dream is
all about?  I have fought my way through our public school system, paid
American taxes on every paycheck, paid the expenses of American healthcare
to heal my wounds, paid American prices at the gas station, the grocery
store, the lunch room and everywhere else.  I have done my part to earn a
peice of the American dream.  What about you?  I understand your living
conditions have been tough, I understand that you have struggled every bit,
if not more, than I have.  I understand that you see the American economy as
way to transcend.  Good.  Your on the right track, but don't expect us to
deliver it to you.  The American dream is an opportunity for the American
citizen, its not about sending checks abroad.

Matthew Leaper
Structural EIT
Omaha, Nebraska