Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
(Correction on ) Info on Bam Quake, and how to help[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: "SEAINT (E-mail)" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: (Correction on ) Info on Bam Quake, and how to help
- From: Abolhassan Astaneh <astaneh(--nospam--at)ce.berkeley.edu>
- Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:08:01 -0800
Dear Friends, after sending you the following e-mail and the link to Red Cross donation page, I tried it myself and it did not work (at least with my browser.) After contacting Red Cross, they could not get it work for me either. So, with my apologies, if you like to donate to Iran earthquake, you can use the phone donation line of Red Cross at 1-800-help now (1-800-435 7669). It works. Please note that after you are connected, you need to press 1 for the first option and 3 ( International Response Fund) for the second option.
Best wishes as always.
As the toll of the Bam tragedy rises and the scenes of survivors grieving the loss of their loved ones, rapped in shrouds in front of them, appear on the news media, the sadness in our hearts deepens and is becoming almost unbearable. May God bless the souls of those who perished, grant patience to their survivors and fast recovery for the injured.
A bright spot in the middle of this overwhelming human tragedy, over the last few days, has been the outpouring of messages of sympathy, offer of help and actual assistance from the people throughout the world directed towards the victims of this tragedy.
Saadi , the great Iranian poet and philosopher of the thirteen century, A.D. had the following verses for these trying times:
?The sons of Adam are limbs of one another/ Having been created of one essence./
When the calamity of time afflicts one limb/ The other limbs cannot remain at rest.?
(Translation from Farsi by Edward Rehatsek, "Golestan, or Rose Garden of Sa'di", (English-Farsi), Published by Peyke Farhang, Tehran,Iran, 1998, ISBN-964-6188-19-2: )
Here are two items for those of you who want to help and/or want more information about the quake:
1. You can Make an on-line donation to the American Red Cross by clicking here (https://www.redcross.org/donate/donation-form.asp)
Please make sure you select the "INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE FUND" on the right hand side of the page. The majority of the money collected through this fund will be sent to the earthquake victims. (A specific Iran Earthquake Fund may be set up later). You can also use phone donation line at 1-888-435 7669 (added).
You can also send a check to the American Red Cross in order to guarantee that your funds are used for the earthquake victims only. Make check payable to American Red Cross, mark it IRANIAN EARTHQUAKE and send it to:
International Services Department
American Red Cross
2025 E St NW
Washington DC 200063.
2. If you like first-hand and accurate information on the quake itself as well as earthquake engineering and seismology of Iran, you can go to http://www.iiees.ac.ir/English/eng_index.html . This the web site for the International Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (IIEES) in Tehran. The institute is a highly respected academic and research institution of the Islamic Republic of Iran and was established through the support of the UNESCO. Immediately after the Bam quake, the IIEES has dispatched two reconnaissance teams of researchers and engineers to the area and has installed seismographs to collect the aftershock data. The results of their valuable efforts eventually will be published in the Journal of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering (published by IIEES and available on the web for free download at:
Wishing you and your family health, happiness and peace in 2004.
Department of Civil and Env. Engineering
781 Davis Hall, University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720-1710, USA
Phone: (510) 642-4528, Fax: (925) 946-0903
- Prev by Subject: Re: "Lamella" Wood Roof Construction
- Next by Subject: RE: (Correction on ) Info on Bam Quake, and how to help
- Previous by thread: Philosophical Differences (WAS: Info on Bam Quake, and how to help)
- Next by thread: RE: (Correction on ) Info on Bam Quake, and how to help