Paso Robles and other earthquakes 2

My original message was too long (Dennis, how do you manage to do that?), so I divided it in two...

Part 2: Bam Earthquake

It can be said that at M6.3, the Bam earthquake was about 40 times "lighter" than the Northridge one - that also occurred in a heavily populated area, and also very early in the morning.  The difference in human losses is staggering.  The human tragedies are incomprehensible.  The cultural losses (e.g., a 2000-years-old fortress dating back to Great Silk Road) are, most probably, irreversible.

The government there was definitely 100% aware of the danger (it was not the first devastating earthquake there).  However, very little, if anything, appears to have been done to prevent the loss of life (I may be wrong on that - I would appreciate Iranian engineers to correct me and to tell this list of what had been done).  In lieu of such explanation, the devastating losses in Bam do not qualify as resulting from the "act of God."

In any case, I hope that the people and, may be, the government (?) of Iran will make something good to come out of that terrible tragedy... For example, instead of bashing the West, the government may try to learn from it how to value human lives in general - and how to save human lives from well-predictable deadly hazards in particular.

May be, more money will be spent on the people of Iran, and not on known less humanistic causes...  What I hope the most, however, is that the Iranian people THEMSELVES will try to learn how to build safer houses.  Hopefully, the engineers and Internet can help.

Steve Gordin, SE
Irvine CA