From: Huffman, Sharlie TRAN:EX [mailto:Sharlie.Huffman(--nospam--at)gems9.gov.bc.ca]
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 3:44 PM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: Fee for Custom Residence

Hmmm.  Seems in Canada that as soon as the engineer puts a seal on the
design, they are automatically liable for the competency of said design.
The mechanical and electrical engineers likewise.  If for this they
receive
1/2 to 1% in fees while the architect gets 10% (which I understand is
pretty
common here as well), then something is wrong with this picture.  I
don't
know what precentage is usual in Canada for buildings for engineers but
I do
know many who work commercial designs for $60/hr (that CD).  Bridges are
another matter.  They seem to be closer to 6% of the construction costs.
Of
course there is no architect in the middle with bridges.

Sharlie Huffman, P.Eng.

Ministry of Transportation
Bridge Seismic Engineer
4B - 940 Blanshard