RE: Fee for Custom Residence

Of course not - and I agree with you on traffic accidents - it's always the
other person's fault.

If you are not taking responsibility for the competency of your designs (not
the whole project mind), why are you sealing them?  That's what the seal
means.  No one runs into court waving their cheque book, but if you design
for the wrong seismic zone (for example) and your structure falls down in a
quake, I don't think yelling "I'm innocent" will get you very far, in front
of your licensing body or in court.  On fuzzier issues, you naturally make
the best case you can.

My point was that when an building fails, people start looking at the
engineering faster than they look at the architecture.  Whether you admit
guilt or not or whether you are found guilty in court or not, you are more
likely to be the target of litigation than the architect.  Thus it seems a
little unfair that you should be paid 5%- 10% as much.

Sharlie Huffman, P.Eng.

Ministry of Transportation
Bridge Seismic Engineer
4B - 940 Blanshard