RE: Fee for Custom Residence

Hi Sharlie,

*Now,* you are using the right word!  RESPONSIBILITY!  There is a big
difference between accepting responsibility for designs, and accepting
liability for anything that happens to the structure.  I accept
responsibility for my designs.  I will not ever say that I am *liable* (which
would indicate that I admit I am at fault) for anything that happens during
or after construction.  If I have made a mistake, I will admit it, and I have
done so many times, and if there is extra cost involved in correcting my
mistake, I will pay my share for correcting the mistake.  I consider this my
RESPONSIBILITY to my client and to the public.

Note that I have never in the previous paragraph said that I have admitted
being at fault, nor have I said that I was not at fault.  Mistakes occur
under the best of circumstances, and, as I am not a lawyer, it is my
understanding the law recognizes that mistakes can be and are made, hence,
you cannot be sued for making a mistake.  (Confirm this with your legal
advisor.)  I have been told this by both a judge and lawyers in private
practice.  (If you insist that you didn't make a mistake, that is a different
story.)

A person who says he/she is liable when they put their seal on a drawing is
admitting that he/she is at fault for anything that happens after the seal is
applied.  Get out your checkbook!

In my previous post, I stated that insurance companies state, "Do not admit
fault," in an accident.  I did not say to deny fault, nor did I say the other
party was at fault.  At the time of an accident it is much too early to know
who was at fault.  If I run a stop sign and another car hits me, am I at
fault?  I ran the stop sign, didn't I?  However, if the other driver is
traveling 90 miles an hour and comes around a curve, is intoxicated and on
drugs, whose fault is it now?  If the other driver was traveling at or about
the speed limit, there would not have been an accident.  I could have
received a ticket for failing to obey a traffic control device; that would be
a mistake that I made.

BTW, an architect's fee for a custom residence would probably be in the range
of 12% to 15% of the construction cost.  That fee includes the structural,
electrical, and mechanical engineers fees unless the architect had an
arrangement with the owner for the owner to pay the engineering consultants
directly.  The structural engineer's fee would be about 1.75% or more of the
construction cost, not of the architect's fee.

For a typical architectural commercial building the structural cost of
construction is approximately 15% to 25% of the total construction cost,
excluding landscaping, of the project, therefore, the structural's fee should
be about 15% to 25% of the architect's fee.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Sharlie Huffman wrote:

. > Of course not - and I agree with you on traffic accidents - it's always
. > the other person's fault.

. > If you are not taking responsibility for the competency of your designs
. > (not the whole project mind), why are you sealing them?  That's what the
. > seal means.  No one runs into court waving their cheque book, but if you
. > design for the wrong seismic zone (for example) and your structure falls
. > down in a quake, I don't think yelling "I'm innocent" will get you very
. > far, in front of your licensing body or in court. On fuzzier issues, you
. > naturally make the best case you can.

. > My point was that when an building fails, people start looking at the
. > engineering faster than they look at the architecture.  Whether you admit
. > guilt or not or whether you are found guilty in court or not, you are more
. > likely to be the target of litigation than the architect.  Thus it seems a
. > little unfair that you should be paid 5%- 10% as much.

. > Sharlie Huffman, P.Eng.