RE: Misc Opinions

I don't wish to be involved in the discussion but since David mentioned
his father, I too would like to mention that my father spent his time as
a master sergeant in India building (or rebuilding) the Burma Road. Dad
volunteered to join Merrill's Marauders but was pulled from the
volunteer list by a close friend who was his dentist in Chicago (Art
Duxler).
Dad brought back a great many pictures of the beauty found in India. He
suffered through Malaria and picking leaches off his legs at night, but
there were some great pictures of my dad on the back of an Elephant as
they were going through the jungles.

>From the way he described India, the people were wonderful and
respectful. Most of all they were appreciative of the Americans who were
helping to stop the Japanese insurgence and building the Burma Road into
China. The pictures convey a lot of wonderful memories for me of that
side of dad that I never knew. India and America were allies with a lot
more respect for each other as they shared the same adversities and each
were there to do a job together - to protect the people of the country.

It bothers me when American is looked upon as an insurgent rather than a
humanitarian effort to help people stand on their own two feet and to
work as a united country. The Burma Road is virtually overgrown with
weeds now and I do understand that there is a program started to at
least map the entire road and maintain a portion of it for historic
sake.

Respectfully,
Dennis S. Wish, PE