RE: Misc Opinions

>Is it "sound engineering judgement" to design
>buildings for the 2,500 year earthquake?

Well, we don't really. First, we take two-thirds of it to get the MCE. Then,
we throw in all these other fudge factors that dilute the actual earthquake
for which we design.

It's easy to get caught up in thinking we're overkilling design by using a
"2,500-year earthquake". But the reality of what current seismic design
requirements attempt to do is to have all buildings designed for a similar
minimum probability against failure in a seismic event, regardless of where
they are located.

That makes sense to me.

Charlie