Re: Misc Opinions

>OTOH, the American Revolution was one of IDEAS, not ethnicity or religious
>affiliation.
Not exactly. Jefferson laid it all out in the Declaration of
Independence. The reasons he listed boil down to the fact that Americans,
who considered themselves British, were being denied the rights of every
other British citizen, such as the right to representation in Parliament.
The ideas weren't being contested, only the behavior of the British
Government and the Monarchy.

>Even the American Civil War, about which you are so knowledgeable, wasn't a
>struggle between races, but within a single race ABOUT the subjugation of
another.
Not quite. The basic fight was over secession--whether individual states
had the right to disunite themselves from the United States. The reason
the South wanted to disunite was to continue an economic system, based on
slavery, favored by a fairly small number of wealthy planters. Slavery
wasn't the cause, but there wouldn't have been a civil war if the
Confederacy hadn't insisted on it.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw