RE: Q: Can you weld steel rebar to steel beam?

William,

Having the carbon equivalent helps narrow down the welding requirements however AWS D1.4 section 1.3.4.3 has conservative default values where the chemical composition is not known.  The only thing it really changes is the preheat requirements.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Sherman, William" <ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com>

03/25/2004 12:09 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
RE: Q: Can you weld steel rebar to steel beam?

The key question in welding A615 rebar is "what is its carbon equivalency"?
That information is not normally provided unless specifically requested from
the supplier. Once that is known, proper welding procedures can be
determined in accordance with AWS.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO