Re: allen bolts

>The architect wants to
>use allen bolts - the type with a beveled head (like a bugle screw) that
>flushes with the surface when tightened.
I understand that the countersunk head doesn't lend itself to a reliable
preload. I can't remember where I heard this but I suspect it's because
the head doesn't bear fully on the sides of the countersink. The actual
term (Machinery's Handbook) is flat countersunk head cap screws, and
they're available in high strength alloy steel (probably the same
mechanicals as ASTM A-564)  up to 1.5 inch nominal size. Holo-krome makes
them for sure, so I expect others do too.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw