Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: allen bolts

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
>The architect wants to
>use allen bolts - the type with a beveled head (like a bugle screw) that
>flushes with the surface when tightened.
I understand that the countersunk head doesn't lend itself to a reliable 
preload. I can't remember where I heard this but I suspect it's because 
the head doesn't bear fully on the sides of the countersink. The actual 
term (Machinery's Handbook) is flat countersunk head cap screws, and 
they're available in high strength alloy steel (probably the same 
mechanicals as ASTM A-564)  up to 1.5 inch nominal size. Holo-krome makes 
them for sure, so I expect others do too. 

Christopher Wright P.E.    |"They couldn't hit an elephant at
chrisw(--nospam--at)        | this distance"   (last words of Gen.
___________________________| John Sedgwick, Spotsylvania 1864)

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********