Re: Wood ledgers separation from concrete?

The requirements for treated wood are intended for separating wood from earth. Hence, the sill plates and other framing members less than 18 inches from each.(section 2306 of 97 UBC) So, unless you have a concern for decay (such as exposure to weather), if your ledger is nowhere close to earth, there is no need for treated wood.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> nmoore(--nospam--at)innercite.com 04/01/04 04:42PM >>>
We have 4x12 ledgers being placed on top of 15" Arxx walls.  An Arxx wall
is composed of 2.5" of EPS on each side and approximately 10" of concrete
in the inner section making a 15" thick wall.   Because the ledgers are
against the concrete, the code apparently requires that the wood be
treated.   Now if I use treated wood, then I've got problems with possible
corrosion of my clips, anchor bolts and nails!   The Arxx people indicate
some sort of separation or gasket between the wood and the concrete.

Does anyone know how to spec this separation or gasket?  One suggestion
I've been provided is 16 ga sheet metal.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, ca