RE: Wood ledgers separation from concrete?

Neil, I do not believe there is a requirement for PPT in your case unless the 4x12 is less then 8” from exposed earth.  Neither the UBC nor the IBC would require it.  I thought all structural wood in contact with concrete shall be PPT but after I read the sections in the code books (2000 IBC 2304, 1997 UBC 2306 and even CABO and the IRC), I changed my mind.  Now, if there is exposure to the elements, then it would be required unless you have a roof or eave or other covering (see IBC 2304.11.5, UBC 2306.12).  FYI: Fasteners in PPT wood shall be hot-dipped zinc coated galvanized steel, SS, SB, or copper per IBC 2304.9.5, UBC 2304.3.  Take care…

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Moore [mailto:nmoore(--nospam--at)innercite.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 3:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org; seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Wood ledgers separation from concrete?

We have 4x12 ledgers being placed on top of 15” Arxx walls.  An Arxx wall is composed of 2.5” of EPS on each side and approximately 10” of concrete in the inner section making a 15” thick wall.   Because the ledgers are against the concrete, the code apparently requires that the wood be treated.   Now if I use treated wood, then I’ve got problems with possible corrosion of my clips, anchor bolts and nails!   The Arxx people indicate some sort of separation or gasket between the wood and the concrete.

Does anyone know how to spec this separation or gasket?  One suggestion I’ve been provided is 16 ga sheet metal.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates
shingle springs, ca