RE: Cripple wall sheathing - need fast answer

Thanks for the reply Steve. This is a situation where there is no rim
joists. The floor joists perpendicular to the cripple wall - unblocked.
The top plate of the cripple wall is a single plate as I think I
mentioned. The 2003 Existing building code does cover the conditions for
Rim Joists at the end of the floor joists - this is not the case. There
is a definite discontinuity unless you overlap the plywood and consider
the nailing of the panel as sufficient to continue the drag connection -
which does not make me comfortable.
I think that since I have not had any other comments on this, I'll play
safe and block for a couple of bays to install strapping and take care
of the discontinuity.

One final issue, the same code does not require porches that are on
cripple walls to be sheathed. In the case, the home has a porch that is
on cripple walls and columns. I see on of the reasons for this, while
the cripple wall may be saved by sheathing, the posts (the porch
cantilevers out from the home by about five feet) are not secured and
would fail. However, if the corners were strapped, there is a
possibility that the porch could be saved by restraining the columns
(6x6 posts penetrate the cripple walls at two corners) from lateral
movement - possibly enough to prevent them from overturning. However,
without the strapping and cripple wall sheathing, the cripple walls will
fail, bringing the columns with them.

Any comments on what others would do?

Thanks again Steve for your comments.

Dennis