Re: Cripple wall sheathing - need fast answer

Dennis,

Regardless of code requirements, I recommend adding blocking between ALL joists w/ framing anchors connecting them to the top plate in your situation. The strapping will deal with the discontinuity, but lately I've seen 3 different houses where the joists have started to rotate above the cripple wall. Another case didn't have cripple walls, but did have a rim joist which was pulled away from the ends of the joists, and the joists rotated. I'm a strong supporter of adding new blocking where none exists.

Steve P
Pasadena, CA