Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: Cripple wall sheathing - need fast answer

Dennis,

Regardless of code requirements, I recommend adding blocking between ALL
joists w/ framing anchors connecting them to the top plate in your
situation.  The strapping will deal with the discontinuity, but lately
I've seen 3 different houses where the joists have started to rotate
above the cripple wall.  Another case didn't have cripple walls, but did
have a rim joist which was pulled away from the ends of the joists, and
the joists rotated.  I'm a strong supporter of adding new blocking where
none exists.

Steve P
Pasadena, CA

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp