RE: NDS Equation 3.3-6 (CL)

Bill,

When the column design requirements were based on short, medium and long
columns, Cd could only be applied to the short and medium columns.  When, in
their infinite wisdom, AF&PA rewrote the column formula into a single
formula, they said that they (somehow) included Cd in the short and medium
portions of the formula, but did not include it in the long portion of the
formula.  This is an accomplishment that truly deserves recognition.  I was
not aware that they extended this accomplishment to lateral stability which
never was stress controlled.

I don't have my NDS at hand right now, but will be looking forward to a
response from AWC.   (No response = Cd should not be applied.)

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Bill Allen wrote:

. > Roger-

. > What about columns (when Fcperp doesn't govern)?

. > In either case, NDS allows the use of Cd.

. > T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
. > ALLEN DESIGNS (http://www.AllenDesigns.com)
. > San Juan Capistrano, CA