From: Clifford Schwinger [mailto:clifford234(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 3:58 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: IBC 2000 (and 2003) load combination question

Section 1605 in IBC 2000 specifies load combinations.

Section 1605.2.1 lists the strength design load
combinations
Section 1605.3.1 lists allowable stress design load
combinations
Section 1605.3.2 lists "alternate" (allowable stress)
basic load combinations.

The load combinations in 1605.2.1 and 1605.3.1 are
pretty much in agreement with each other (accounting
for the differences between LRFD design and ASD
design.) I can't figure out what planet the 1605.3.2
load combinations came from. There seems to be no
consideration for the "dead load only" condition or
for the "dead load + wind load" condition in this
group of equations.  To tell the truth I never even
noticed the 1605.3.2 equations before. Whenever we do
ASD design we use the 1605.3.1 equations.  What is the
logic behind the 1605.3.2 equations and why have two
groupings of ASD load combination equations? Where did
they come from? Why not just always use the 1605.3.1
equations when you're doing ASD design? Why is there
no "dead load only" or "D+W" equation with the
1605.3.2 equations? What am I missing?

(These load combinations (and confusion) remain
basically the same in IBC 2003.)

TIA,

Cliff Schwinger