RE: NDS Equation 3.3-6 (CL)

Roger (and everyone else who may be interested),

I've looked more into NDS equation 3.3-6 and have realized that, since Cd is
used in Fb*, it's an integral part of CL. Doing a little trial and error, it
appears that, as Lu increases, The effects of Cd diminish. In other words,
for high values of Lu, Fb' with Cd = 1.25 approaches Fb1 with Cd = 1.

I understand the point you (Roger) make about lateral stability being more
of a function of stiffness than strength, but most of the formulae dealing
with lateral stability (apparently except for this one) are independent of
load duration effects. My previous example of a steel WF "flagpole" is one
example. Another is LRFD. While I don't profess to know much about limit
states, I'm fairly certain that load duration has nothing to do with the
left side of the equation phi*R_sub_n >= R_sub_u.

I guess it's a quandary I'll have to deal with for a while.

Sigh...

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
San Juan Capistrano, CA