RE: Smaller nail size for field nailing ok?

Title: Smaller nail size for field nailing ok?

Scott,

I’m sure APA has a good answer for you. Personally, shearwall capacity is empirically determined. Because of this, I would not mix nails on the panels – I would think that edge nailing, being stiffer, would be subject to higher shear first, then the field nails after the stiffer nails begin to fail. (Rigid Diaphragm design ideology).

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant