Re: Deck rail

Tarek:

As others have stated, it is a 200# concentrated load that is to be
applied where it will create the maximum "effect" for a particular member.

To be more specific, you apply the load at any location that will cause
the worst stress for a particular member.  So, for an example, applying
the 200# concentrated load horizontally at the top rail right at a post
location might very well create the greatest (cantilever) bending stress
for that post.  OTOH, applying that 200# concentrated load horizontally
or vertically at the top rail at the midspan of the rail itself (halfway
between two posts) might create the greatest bending stress for the top
rail.

The point is that _YOU_ the engineer must determine the locations where
you need to place the load to create the worst design situations for the
various members of your handrail system.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI