RE: Welding Rebar to Stainless Steel

This is not a prequalified weldment under the structural welding code.  If you proceed with this method, be sure to put in dollars for the development of a welding procedure for installation and inspection.  It might be less expensive to use a stainless dowel or Deformed Bar Anchors and overlap tie to rebar using standard splices.
Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 2:07 PM
To: ?
Subject: Re: Welding Rebar to Stainless Steel

>I don't feel comfortable with this type of connection,
>but I need some advice.
Bimetal welds are always tricky unless you know exactly what you're
doing. Austenitic stainless (presumably you're considering austenitic
stainless) and re-bar have different responses to thermal treatment,
different thermal expansion coefficients and in this particular case very
different microstructure. I'm not very impressed with the weldability of
re-bar, although I know it's done. In any even it isn't a job for
Clapsaddle's Weld Shop and Charm School. Make sure you have welders who
are qualified for making structureal bi-metal joints.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw