RE: Welding Rebar to Stainless Steel

>concrete is notched at the top to form a 1" gutter
>behind the stainless steel plate. That's why I don't feel comfortable
>relying on the welded rebar connection to take all the loads.
That's a good recipe for pitted stainless steel--make sure there's a
crevice with limited air circulation where moisture can collect. Add any
sort of soluble pollutant at all as an electrolyte (salt vapor from the
ocean or road salting) and the dissimilar metal junction and wait a year
or so. Sustained welding heat really helps.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw