RE: Foreign degree evaluation

I just had my master's degree from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology
(ETH) evaluated since I would like to take the PE exam. Most state boards
for regulation and licensing require to have a foreign degree evaluated by
Engineering Credentials Evaluation International (ECEI, see www.ecei.org)
before you get accepted to take the PE exam. ECEI evaluates the degrees
according to ABET criteria's.
Unfortunately it is quite a pain to deal with ECEI. The ETH is a pretty good
engineering university in Europe, and you would think, when you have a
master's degree from this institute, it would not be a big problem to get a
decent evaluation. The outcome was, that my degree is supposedly not even
equivalent to a bachelors degree in the US education system. I am lacking
some credits in math and humanities/social science (for example languages,
even though most Swiss talk about 3 languages :-)) Anyway..... I got
accepted later on by the State Board, after writing some special explanation
etc.
It depends what kind of evaluation you are looking for. If you just would
like to get accepted by some US universities, the best is to contact the
specific university direct. Some universities have a whole list of
acceptable evaluation services. If you are planning to get later on the EIT
and PE in the US, it's probably better to use ECEI right away to avoid
having your degree evaluated twice. But be prepared for some headaches.

Good luck,

Oliver Mueller
Bridge Engineer Associate
PARSONS