Re: Lateral Deflection of Stucco

Richard,

In the 1997 UBC, Section 1613 refers to Tables 16D and 16E, which give
criteria for horizontal members only.  However, my usual practice is to use
the same criteria for walls.  Section 1604.3.6 and Table 1604.3 of the IBC
gives more complete deflection criteria [it includes walls] and is less
restrictive for walls.  Taking stucco as a brittle wall finish, the IBC
limits deflection to L/240.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA