Re: Smaller nail size for field nailing ok?

The feild nailing contributes little to the panel's rotational resistance. Its main function is to prevent diagonal buckling. So I doubt that a reasonably small difference in nail size would be significant. But why would anyone want to do a cockamamie thing little that?
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Dennis Wish wrote:

Scott,

I’m sure APA has a good answer for you. Personally, shearwall capacity is empirically determined. Because of this, I would not mix nails on the panels – I would think that edge nailing, being stiffer, would be subject to higher shear first, then the field nails after the stiffer nails begin to fail. (Rigid Diaphragm design ideology).

Dennis

      Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net <mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net>

http://www.structuralist.net <http://www.structuralist.net/>