Re: Welding Rebar to Stainless Steel

Oshin Tosounian wrote:

I have a situation where a stainless steel plate needs to be attached to the
vertical edge of a 6-inch concrete slab. The stainless steel plate needs to
transmit bending, shear and tension forces from exterior elements to the
slab. Is there a problem with welding rebar to the stainless steel plate to
develop the tension and shear forces and designing the stainless steel plate
like a base plate? I don't feel comfortable with this type of connection,
but I need some advice.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thank you in advance.

Oshin Tosounian, S.E.
Los Angeles, CA

Hartzell comments:

I recall an instance some years ago where we had a number of SS plates to be
embedded in concrete by means of  hooked carbon steel rebars welded to the
SS plates.  I can't recall whether or not we called for special welding
procedures but I believe we did.

In actual fact, when the assemblies were delivered to the job site and
dumped on the ground, fortunately one of the hooked bars broke off the
plate.  Upon further investigation, we found that many of the # 6 bars could
be dislodged from the plate with a single blow of a handheld hammer!!!

Needless to say, all assemblies were rejected and the welding was (I hope)
properly done.

Frank Hartzell