From: M. David Finley, P.E. [mailto:pec(--nospam--at)isgroup.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 08, 2004 12:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Generator Foundation

Early in my career I did a few foundations for emergency generators, water pumps, etc. as part of larger projects such as waste-water plants.  I can't remember exactly, but it seems to me that in order to avoid vibration concerns, we used a rule of thumb to size the foundations.  The rule of thumb was something along the lines of "use a minimum foundation weight of twice (or maybe even more) the weight of the equipment".

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  If so, what multiplier is commonly used?

Obviously overturning, bearing pressure, etc. would also be checked - this rule of thumb was just to achieve a certain mass.

M. David Finley, P.E.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025
386-752-6400