RE: online plan stamper

Based on a quick online review of NY State licensing regulations, I couldn't
find where sealing another's work is permitted. I would be interested in
reading how it is worded.

In my own opinion, some level of "plan stamping" should be permitted based
on a detailed review of the work and allowing for changes required based on
the review. For example, what if a PE dies just before a project is to be
sealed? There should be provisions allowing for another engineer to seal the
work, provided that adequate reviews are performed.

However, the method of "review" described at the noted website does not
appear to provide for an "adequate" detailed review. I don't think that
simply performing a general review of a drawing is sufficient to take
professional responsibility for the design.

I suspect that in states like NY, they can't stop this PE stamping until
actual projects are sealed - and then, if there is a complaint, they could
review the case to see if "proper" reviews were done.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311