Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 11:29 AM
Subject: lateral design of row building

I am extending the front façade (about 30-feet) of an existing commercial building. The building is 30-feet wide and is constructed flush to the buildings on each side ? typical of all of the storefronts along this street. The buildings are all light-framing wood construction and one story. The building to the East is a two story.

The building I am remodeling will protrude 5?-0? further than the adjacent buildings and the height of the new roof will not be sloped ? thus increasing the height of the building in front.

My question is how to design the lateral (wind/seismic) shear in the front of the building. I can calculate the existing capacity designed into the two shear panels in the existing storefront (by panel thickness, nail size and spacing). My question is how to design the lateral. Should I design it as an independent building and disregard the lack of spacing between the two buildings? The lateral will be transferred to the adjacent buildings by nature of the lack of separation. I don?t have much panel width in the new storefront and will be designing in two Hardy Panels (stiff cold-formed steel narrow walls). The second choice is to calculate the new lateral in the additional 5?-0? protrusion and add this to the existing storefront capacity that is being removed and add this to the lateral contributed by the new 5?-0? extension?

Your comments would be appreciated.

TIA

Dennis S. Wish, PE

Dennis S. Wish, PE