From: Timothy Allison [mailto:t_allison(--nospam--at)illinoisalumni.org]
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 7:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: (no subject)

Sorry if this is duplicate - I haven't seen it post to the listserv...

In Section 7.9 of ASCE 7, the designer is directed to consider all of the
snow from a sloped roof above to have fallen onto the lower roof. I have two
questions regarding this:

1) Is the superimposed load from sliding snow to be applied uniformly over
the lower roof? If it is tapered, where are the equations explaining how far
to project the sliding snow load?
2) Is there some point that the sliding load can be neglected, based on
relative elevations? If the eave of the upper roof is at a height of 12',
and the lower roof at this location is only a few inches below, it seems
ludicrous to think that the entire upper roof could/would actually slide
down.

Thanks