From:
BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com [mailto:BCainse(--nospam--at)aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 3:20 PM
To:
seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Boggled Out By Load Combinations

Bill-

The force E for ASD is 1/1.4 times the value calculated by code formulas. (See CBC Section 1612.3.1 Eqns 12-9, 12-10 and 12-11)

But, unless the L is very big and/or the AE is very small, the force for most calculated deflections will be huge.  Wouldn't it be better to provide a sliding connection on one end?  Then the force would be quite small.  But the bearing for the element will need to allow the full range of movement.

Regards,

Bill Cain, SE

Berkeley  CA