From: Carter, Charlie [mailto:carter(--nospam--at)aisc.org]
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 11:57 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: FW: Steel HP pile preferred material spec

>At a pile seminar today, one of the speakers claimed
>that all the HP material in the US these days is 50 ksi.
>This didn't sound right to me, so I went online to the
>AISC web site and checked Charlie Carter's latest article
>about specifying materials properly.  In the January 2004
>Modern Steel Construction article on this subject, the table
>shows the preferred material specification to be ASTM A36.
>Is that still correct?

The following answer is based upon information provided to me from Mike
Engestrom, who works for Nucor-Yamato Steel. I asked him:

    What is the preferred spec for HP Shapes: A36, A572-50 or A992?
    If HP shapes are 50 ksi, is that A992 or A572-50?
    Is A36 still common?

His response is as follows:

    A992 isn't on the HP radar screens yet for some reason.
    ASTM A36 is still popular, yet ASTM A572 grade 50 is
    gaining ground in some cases. Unfortunately, for the
    wrong reasons, ASTM A588 HPs are specified more often
    than not ... "they" think they get some benefit from
    that grade of steel ... and they don't in the ground,
    as you know, (atmospheric) "weathering steel" acts like
    A36 or A572 in the ground, unless in deep, undisturbed
    soil (without oxygen), and then even A36/A572 would act
    the same.

    The foundation industry, based on existing building codes,
    still promotes ASTM A36 unless there is significant
    testing or local data available to support the use of
    high-strength steel ... the allowables are simply much
    less. Some designers and piling contractors are more
    aggressive in promoting high-strength pile systems, but
    the vast majority simply go with the flow ...

This is the reason I indicated A36 as the most common in the article
mentioned. Hope this helps.

Charlie

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org