Boggled Out By Load Combinations

Bill,
I agree with Bill Cain.  The correct multiplier is zero.  I know what
you said.  I just can't believe AE could be that small in a steel member
(sounds like you're talking about steel).  Besides, won't it buckle when
the buildings move the other way?

What is this mystery member, anyhow?  You've got me curious now.

Mike Hemstad, P.E., S.E.
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota

Bill Allen wrote, in response to Bill Cain:

Bill -

=20

Believe it or not, I think I can accommodate the force (think: rubber =
band - AE is very small). Allowing for the movement (sliding connection)
in my = case would create more problems than it solves.

=20

Sooo.If I understand your response to the original point, you're saying
= to take Delta_sub_s and divide by 1.4 to arrive at the ASD level =
displacement for design of this rubber band?

=20

Thanks,

=20

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)

V/F (949) 248-8588

San Juan Capistrano, CA

http://www.AllenDesigns.com