Raised garage slab

I am doing residential structural plans for a construction company that would like to raise the garage slab above a sloped grade to reduce the amount of fill required.  This sounds like a bad idea, but I know I've seen it in plans in the past.  Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this condition?  My knee jerk reaction is to talk the company into doing retaining walls with gravel fill as I'm used to typically seeing.  Any comments are appreciated.

Mark Pemberton, S.E.
Pemberton Engineering
Davis, CA