RE: Raised garage slab

I've done this as well when building a multi-story home off a hillside
(did this about 10 years ago). I framed the garage floor and covered it
with a light weight concrete over a plywood sub-floor. As Jeff pointed
out, you need to design the framing (according to UBC) for 50-psf and a
2000-lb point load at the worst case location (usually bending mid
span). The only problem I had was making the connection between the
garage floor and the driveway which was on solid bedrock. We did use a
masonry retaining wall at the junction between the home/garage and the
driveway to street.
In a high seismic zone, you can't guarantee that there won't be any
separation between the home and hillside but I did this home around 1990
and had no problems after Northridge.

Dennis

P.S. The home was a three-story, stepping down the hillside and as such,
it was a challenge in itself because of the foundation requirements and
the need to design for lateral loading at each level.

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net