Q: Does anyone know the industry standard for barrier detail?

For about 40 years, I have used a standard detail for a vehicle (railing) barrier assembly that provided protection of various industrial buildings and yard-based equipment. In areas that were accessible to trucking such as driveways and more particularly the overhead door openings of garages, these barriers were added along with any curbing I believed was required.

The barriers typically consist of two 8 or 12 inch diameter concrete filled steel posts, with a 12 inch steel channel welded to the vertical pipes. The posts are embedded three feet under the ground, and stood approximately 2?-9? above the ground. I have never lost the weldments, the channel, or the pipe posts as the pipe posts as the results of truck impacts.

I have now been asked where this detail is shown as part of an ?Industry Standard?. In my search, I have not found this detail in Seelye?s, Ramsey-Sleeper, Time Saver Standards, or any of several other references, which provide typical details that are often followed by my colleagues.

Does anyone remember where they may have found such a detail in a publication that we may often (or even occasionally) utilize as a standard for this detail?

As always, thank you for your comments.

Djohan, P.E.
Brooker Engineering, New York

Do you Yahoo!?