Re: Exposed brick on lintel soffit

Richard.

Using the 1997 UBC, I would wrap the steel lintel with stucco complying with
Section 2508.  Use the stucco as a backing for an adhered brick veneer that
complies with Section 1403.5.  The veneer units would be filleted 3/4" to 1"
thick from the project face bricks, saw-cut so that you have L-shaped pieces
formed from one face and one end of the original brick -- this will give you
soldier-brick corner veneer pieces.  The remainder of the soffit would be of
flat pieces saw-cut from brick faces, applied as a veneer.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net