RE: Q: Weld QA/QC per FEMA 350

Recent test have shown that a welded web connection could improve the connection's performance significantly. And  the future AISC standards for pre-qualified connections will most likely include provisions for requiring this, at least on some of the connection types.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> CPagni(--nospam--at)pacecivil.com 04/13/04 11:39AM >>>
Thank you Tom.

Regarding the same WUF- welded web connection, the beam has a very shallow
depth. Would a bolted web connection be a better choice? Advise on selecting
between these connection is appreciated.

Thanks, Catherine

-----Original Message-----
From: THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com [mailto:THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2004 11:12 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Q: Weld QA/QC per FEMA 350

Catherine,

The L and T indicate whether the weld is loaded Longitudinally or
Transversely.  This may change the NDE requirements as shown in Table 6.3 of
FEMA 353.

As to whether you are allowed to use Omega forces or Beam Capacity will
depend on the Building Official.   I suggest you have a long talk with them.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

Catherine Pagni <CPagni(--nospam--at)pacecivil.com>

04/13/2004 10:51 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

"'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

cc

Subject
Q: Weld QA/QC per FEMA 350

The engineer is required to specify the Seismic Weld Demand Category per
FEMA 350. Using the detail for WUF-W, the category is given for each weld as
QA/QC Category AH/T or BH/L or sim. I understand the BH indicates the
seismic demand/consequence category per table 6-1 FEMA 353. What does the T
or L indicate?

Second question; Where this building is located, the governing code is the
97 UBC. Can I detail the connection using the reacting moments due to the
lateral forces increased by Omega, 2.8, or must the internal forces be
calculated using the equations in FEMA 350 Section 3.2?

Your help is very much appreciated,
Catherine A Pagni, MSCE
PACE Civil, Inc.
Staff Engineer