RE: NDS Equation 3.3-6 (CL)

Title: RE: NDS Equation 3.3-6 (CL)

Sorry I didn't get to this last week, I've been on travel and Grand Jury duty the past couple weeks and am playing catchup.

I'll try to deal with this in a progressive fashion. All references are from the 2001 NDS or 1997 NDS Commentary. Btw, the 1997 NDS Commentary is now available online in PDF format at http://www.awc.org/Standards/ndscommentary.html

1) Load duration does not apply to compression perp (Fcperp) or modulus of elasticity (E) - NDS 2.3.2.1

2) The load duration factor for the shortest load duration in a combination of loads shall apply for that load combination - NDS 2.3.2.2 and NDS Appendix B(there's a good example of this in the 1997 NDS Commentary 2.3.2.2.) So if wind is part of the load combination, then use C_D=1.6. However, you still need to check the dead load only combination with C_D=0.9, and other load combos with the appropriate load duration factor, to see what controls.

3) Since load duration does not apply to E, a member subject to buckling should be analyzed for the critical load combination after the critical buckling design value has been calculated. (Again, there's a good example of this in the NDS Commentary 2.3.2.3) In other words, you can't divide the load combination by the load duration factor to see which one controls if you are designing a buckling critical member.

4) The column (and beam) stability equations (NDS 3.7.1 and 3.3.3) can be thought of as interaction equations. For short columns, the equation gives results that converge on the compression design value adjusted by all applicable adjustment factors including the load duration factor, Fc*. So as C_P approaches 1.0, Fc' approaches Fc*. For long columns the equation gives results that converge on the Euler value, F_cE. Note that E is not adjusted for load duration in the Euler equation. For intermediate columns, the equation basically provides an interaction value between pure compression and pure buckling. There are a couple of good graphics of this in the NDS Commentary 3.7.1.5.

HTH

Buddy

John "Buddy" Showalter, P.E.
Director, Technical Media