Re: Codes for Large Cranes?

>I have a client who is asking if we can help them with the
seismic
>requirements of large container ship unloading cranes.
None of the specs you've noted have specific seismic
requirements for cranes. Cranes tend to have more
significant modes than buildings and tend to be softer than
buildinggs. They're also dominated by service loading and
aren't normally designed aginast ultimate loads. The best
approach is a response spectrum analysis. The static
coefficient  method is very misleading. I'd be very surprised
if there aren't some site specific requrements including
spectra or at least guidance for spectra for such machinery.

The usual design approach is to use AISC ASD for the
structure and a CMAA spec for the machinery. The design
margins for machinery is much different than for the
structure because the service tends to be very severe with
lots of dynamic loading. You might want to check with the
Army Corps of engineers and whatever the Navy calls
BuDocks these days. The ABS may be of some help.

Chris Wright