RE: Components & Cladding for Wood Roof Trusses

The day I see a wood truss manufacturer's calcualtion and shop drawing submittal that actually complies with the Structural Contract Drawings (including when specific snow drift loads and net component & cladding uplift pressures are provided on the SCD's) will be the day hell freezes over.

From: "John C. Jones" <john(--nospam--at)struct-engr.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Components & Cladding for Wood Roof Trusses
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:58:27 -0500

Wow, I had to do a double take because I typed a message with almost this exact title and then didn't send it to the group.

That's how I specify.

Here was what I started to post...I came across some shop drawings that said the trusses were designed as MWFRS. I questioned the supplier and he said that he could get a bunch of PE's to say that MWFRS is the way they should be designed. I asked if these people work for the truss industry. The answer was yes. This is nuts, evidently all trusses designed using software and plates made by Robbins Engineering are designed as MWFRS. Be on the lookout for this.

John C. Jones, PE
Barnett Associates
Pell City, AL
205-884-5334